Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

25.10.11

Bitter Defeat / Butternut Squash Pie / Sweater Progress



Roasted Butternut Squash Pie. 

Oh my my, another pie! After making the bebes another batch of butternut squash puree, I decided that someone, somewhere must have made a pie out of this delicious gourd. I looked it up online and saw that indeed, people have been switching out pumpkins with butternut squash for quite sometime, how have I never heard of this?! After reading through a few recipes to get an idea of what you need to create such a delicious masterpiece I came up with a little recipe of my own, and yes, I will share it with you. Looks yummy right? Not only is is super yum, butternut squash is considered a superfood, is very low in calories, has lots of vit A, B6 and C (great for upcoming cold season) and is high in fiber. 



This piece is the part that I messed up by touching when I shouldn't have..


Ingredients: 

1 batch of butter pie crust (previous post)
1.5 c Pureed roasted butternut squash
nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, clove to taste
3/4 c of whole milk (or 1/2 and 1/2) 
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon melted butter
tincy bit of salt 
3 eggs 
-
Preheat the oven to 350. Roll out pie dough and place it into your dish, poke some holes in the bottom with a fork, I also used a fork to put the little tickmarks on the rim of the crust. Puree all of the ingredients together and pour it into the dish. Stick it in the oven for about 45 minutes or until its set. Take it out and let it sit for a little bit, and then enjoy!




I really loved how this came out. It was rich but not too heavy, very fluffy and had a great flavor. Next time I may reduce the amount of brown sugar and use a little bit of honey, or maybe maple syrup to sweeten it, although you could probably cut out the sugar and leave it to be a more savory pie, as a side dish for thanksgiving. 
 - 
Sweater Update


I'm almost done with the front! Then onto the sleeves, which I will be knitting both at the same time. Im hoping to get it finished before my upcoming trip home to visit my parents, on Thursday. 
-


Bebes

 Here is how the bebes occupy their time inside on these sorts of rainy days, races up and down the hallway. As you can see they are experimenting with various methods of crawling to see which is most energy efficient and fastest. Omi is demonstrating what I have dubbed the "downward dog dash" which Julian is providing the constant, classic crawl. 


Omi clearly has chosen the most efficient method, but lets gives Julian a moment to catch up.


Just kidding, Omi wins! 


In denial, while Omi demonstrates her superior crawl in celebration. 


The bitterness of defeat sends Julian into a dark place.... 


-

No comments:

Post a Comment